PBS concluded a four part series tonight, Nova: Becoming Human. It was a study of anthropological study of evolution, examining the development of the fossil record from the beginning of the journey of the human species. I highly recommend it.
To quote the wisdom of Louis Black (for the pro-evolution camp)when bemoaning the label "theory" that was attached to "evolution"... FOSSILS, FOSSILS!! FOSSILS!!!
I remember too of the wisdom of my earliest priest mentor. From the first moments of my life on earth, through the first ten years of my priesthood, Fr. J.J. Delaney, - Diocese of Sault-Ste-Marie, who has been the most primal source of my understanding of what it means to be a priest. He was the priest who baptized me into the Church as an infant. He was there through the transition of the Catholic world from the latin world of the 1950's through to implementation of those first steps of Vatican II. He was the homilist at my first mass, I at his funeral.
"Know your enemy" he would thunder from the pulpit as he rallied the town in the fight for miners rights; "know your enemy" he would speak to me, in moments of counsel and advice. "Learn the arguments of those who would challenge the faith so that you might best him on his own ground."
Therefore, no matter one's position on evolution, creationism or intelligent design there are good reasons to watch this series.
For me, I recommend the series another another reason: the amazing convergence of Thomism and anthropology in the past 30 years.
Archeology is now proving, that by the standards of science itself, the essential element which marked the start in the genetic evolution of the human genus, was the understanding of the "divine-other". The first intelligence was the knowledge of God.
A God that received and appreciated offerings: a species certainty of an intelligent "other" that ordered life. That moment gave birth to culture, to morality, to the knowledge that there is a pattern to all that exists which "yearns" (Rm 8:22) for fulfillment.
Faith is the lens that we can watch series such as this PBS Nova series and see within it that the essential element of what it is to be human is knowledge of God, a.k.a., faith.
Science tells us that all that is human today can be traced back to a small handful of individuals. They grew from one of the few habitable areas of the earth during the last great ice age, in the southern region of south Africa. A temperate verdant oasis of the remnants of millions of years of biological life on a planet which was rendered virtually inhabitable by ice and desert. There was the one single place where all humans alive today came from.
Is it just me, but is that not also what Genesis teaches? That from the moment the first humans came to understand the knowledge of the tree of life, the poison which stole our innocence with the knowledge of life and death, mankind began a journey away from the Garden from which they had been expelled to exercise dominion over the earth. Science describes the same process.
Faith is not incompatible with science, for with faith we can see within every single element of creation the reflected image of the Creator. From astrophysical descriptions of the shape of the universe, through to the world of the quantum elements which are described in the physics of the very small, we find the blueprint of the "first caused, uncaused", the "first mover, unmoved" and "first knower, unknown". The knowledge of the Divine is a free gift of the Creator. It is essential to acknowledge that we can only know "of God" that which is revealed and made known through God. Jesus, the perfect embodiment of Emmanuel, the teachings of sacred scripture and those tantalizing glimpses of the Divine plan which sciences grants to us guides the study of His creation. Is science not then a support to faith and not its' substitute?
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2015 (1722)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- ► 2010 (997)
- Manhattan Declaration is "dangerous"?
- George Weigel defends the conclusions of Natural L...
- And for something lighter...
- Join the conversation!!
- Gender Mainstreaming at Save a Family Plan
- An interesting exchange between a theist and an at...
- Chris Matthews vs Bishop Tobin
- Interesting article from ZENIT
- Man trapped in 23-year 'coma' reveals horror of be...
- A story taken from LifeSiteNews that should chill ...
- Something for every cell phone user to watch
- Matt Gurney (National Post) argues for the legaliz...
- Catholic Answers
- Interesting position of modernism and its implicat...
- Respect for Each Other in a Polarized Community - ...
- Trying to understand
- Working in "virtual" fields to produce a harvest o...
- Again the battle rages on the web pages of the CBC...
- Just a little humor that tickles a priests' funny ...
- A site from University of Edinburgh which attempts...
- Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide: Why Not?
- Link to the Manhattan Declaration
- Learning when and how to pick a fight.
- If You Look for the Bad In People, You're sure to ...
- Manhattan Declaration of Consciences
- Archbishop Chaput (Denver) on the cost of disciple...
- Catholic Church needs more Internet savvy: bishop
- I couldn't say it better myself
- Chuck Colson posts an article about religious free...
- Article from Atlantic Catholic writer, Francis Cam...
- Nova: Becoming Human
- Excellent dialogue on St. Joseph's Health Care Cen...
- Big Ecumenical Announcement on Friday!!
- From Blue Wave blog
- Archbishop Duncan of the Anglican Church of North ...
- Zenit reports on the need to increasing the Cathol...
- A voice from Toronto on Bill C-384
- Bishop Fred Henry (Calgary) calls for the defeat o...
- A Small Town Paper poses Challenge to Catholic Fai...
- Catholic Video Blog
- Looking for bigger role on Web, bishops meet Googl...
- When Bishops take to the public square to make the...
- Abortion kills more than baby: Chinese study says...
- Church Examines Its Use of Internet What's To Be L...
- W5 program this Saturday/Sunday (November 14/15, 2...
- God & Dog
- Why did Bishops cover up the sex abuse scandals
- American study on sex abuse by clergy
- The value of a private retreat for women (and men ...
- Families : mediating structure between individual ...
- University of Toronto Pro-Life students make the a...
- A long and safe trip
- Another graced gift of the Pro-Life "40 Days for L...
- Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Catholic League
- Have you heard the voice of God today?
- An example of what I speak
- Human Rights Tribunals: An attack upon Christians...
- National Post: Are there two "Catholic Churches"?
- But what do we mean when we say "marriage"?
- Is the Church a force for good? Fr. Richard John N...
- Lessons from Fort Hood
- Insightful article of the nature of theology
- The effects linger for years, and years....
- Whispers in the Loggia
- New York Times analysizes the Maine Vote overturni...
- Another Evangelical Catholic is heard from
- The power of music
- Massey Lecture Series
- A challenge, with deep nod of respect to graduates...
- Not a great day (sigh) for Catholic values and the...
- Another front opens on the culture war between fai...
- The media drum beat for legalized euthanasia conti...
- The impact of the blogoshere on the main stream me...
- The fruits of the 40 Day Witness for Life pays off...
- clay vessels: Drinking a Beer with Jesus
- Dorothy Day: Contribution to Catholic/Christian re...
- A conversation with Wayne on the ways of God
- An Invitation to a conversation
- ▼ November (78)