Skip to main content

Picture Proof of what heaven must be like (at least for this Canadian priest)

Like most of my fellow priests, most Mondays are spent recovering from the frenetic activities of parish weekend life. I am among those who are fortunate to be able to spend my Monday's (at least those not lost to funerals or other parochial needs) at a cottage along side the Ottawa River that I have been slowly paying for (and continually renovating) over the past 20 years. The photo's below are different views from its cosy confines. They are for me a small foretaste of what I pray paradise must be like.

Granted the view is not quite to warm and inviting during the cold weather such as this winter is offering, but even the desolate beauty of the ice and snow covered ground warms the soul of this Canadian priest. Besides, if I were to apply to the environment the religious maxim of "when in desolation, remember consolation" these photo's help me to live again the memories of warmer times spent with friends and family -  a fun thing to do anytime!

Just though you (like me) might appreciate the views, no matter whether it's boats or skidoo's  traversing the river.



 

Comments

  1. How many nuns can afford the mortgage on a little cabin by the river, even if they chip in with a few of their sisters? Gee, I've never even heard of one.

    Enjoy. Have some wine and cheese. Light up a big cigar. You've earned it.

    And they wonder why there are no new nuns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: Religious sisters and priests take an extra vow of poverty when they enter as full members of their respective community. Diocesan priests (those of us who for the greater part work in parishes) are granted a place to live (a taxable benefit) and a modest salary. Since I do not have to pay for my room and board (which takes up the bulk of an average families income) I have been able to take out and faithfully a small mortgage each month (over a 35 year period I might add) to possess this small corner of heaven. Graced with a small inheritance from my parents, I have been also been able to turn a small one bedroom summer chalet into an all-season refuge for me. Religious communities own similar places where their members can rest and relax from their ministries as well.

    I owe neither them or you any apology for owning or enjoying this cottage any more than you owe me a moral accounting for how you spend your money.

    Fr. Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both my comment and your response show us how easy it is to rationalize our own beliefs and criticize those of others, independent of any truth that may be contained therein.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

 

Canadian Euthanasia Information

The May 2010 Euthanasia Prevention Coalition Newsletter can now be found at: http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/Newsletters/Newsletter108(May2010)(RGB).pdf Bill C-384 was soundly defeated by a vote of 228 to 59. Check how the Members of Parliament voted at: http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/HowTheyVoted.pdf On June 5, 2010, we are co-hosting the US/Canda Push-Back Seminar at the Radisson Gateway Hotel at the Seattle/Tacoma Airport. The overwhelming defeat of Bill C-384 proved that we can Push-Back the euthanasia lobby in the US and Canada and convince people that euthanasia and assisted suicide are a dangerous public policy. Register for the Seminar at: http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/2010SeminarFlyer(RGB)(LetterFormat).pdf The Schindler family are being attacked by a Florida television station and Michael Schiavo. The Euthanasia Prevention Coalition is standing in solidarity with the Schindler family. My blog comments: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2010/05/att