Martin & Reddog: Thank you for your posts in this thread. I had never heard of Dr. Reker before I read the news story about his study (I think I provided a link as well as publishing the summary).
You each raise a central point of this blog that I would like to address, namely what articles I publish on the blog. I will copy this same text (although maybe with a bit of editing to clean up the grammar) into a posting in its own right.
Yours are not the only criticism that I get about the variety of topics that I post on the blog. In fact I catch more flack from fellow Christians who object to the fact that I post comments such as your which argue the opposite to Dr. Reker's study (they often think that I am harming the Christian position by exposing readers to anti-life or other positions contrary to traditional Christian stands on moral issues).
I also freely admit that some of what I post is politically incorrect - at least as that term has come to be understood as saying something that one group or another might find offensive (as you both did with this article).
Yet that is exactly what I intend to continuing doing! No where in my the initial post did I give my opinion - and I clearly stated that I was throwing it out there for discussion. Please don't draw some conclusion as to my intent in posting any article other than to accomplish that which I repeatedly stated: to foster discussion of important topic of faith, morals and societal life. Wherever "the rubber hits the road", there are bound to be heat, conflict, dirt and noise. But these are necessary consequences of making progress in understanding these issues.
Some of what I post will generate discussion or rancor from one group while another causes the same for others. It is my firm conviction that we should not shy away from these discussions just because people might get upset, and that each time something like our exchanges on this topic occurs, it serves to shine a light on a subject to bring clarity and knowledge to those who read it. Let me take it a step further: if you (or anyone) wants to recommend something for posting, I'll be happy to oblige so long at it fits the parameters I began this blog with - that it's something that relates to the intersection of faith and life.
One final point: in the face of allegations of "bloody hands" and the occasional questioning of my head, heart or charity, I have never responded with accusation or acrimony. I assume the best of intentions on everyone's part and do my best to follow the same route in my postings. I try to be humble and charitable in all that I write. All that I ask of you is only what I demand of myself - that we be truthful, charitable and open to each others arguments. There is no attempt on my part to use these pages to "convert" anyone or coerce people into believing the same as I do. I do not believe that it is your intention to convert me either!
I trust that you will in the future comprehend this a little better and will continue to join in the no-holds barred dialogue and debate as you have done previously.
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2014 (1275)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- What have the Olympics revealed about God & Countr...
- ALL TIME OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL CHAMPIONS... A RULERS ...
- Vatican Video for priest... Alter christus Part O...
- Vatican Video for priests Alter Christus Part Tw...
- Vatican video for priests Alter Christus Part Thr...
- GO CANADA GO!!!!!
- An abrieviated version of an old chestnut
- Why should the state pay for an elective medical p...
- Archaeological dig uncovers support for biblical a...
- Tom Brokaw explains Canada to Americans
- American Health Care Solution?
- Cristina joins the conversation (what can we discu...
- Some perspective for those who are concerned with ...
- A classic, updated for we aging "boomers"
- Freyr helps open an investigation of that place wi...
- A little humor at the end of a busy day... with h/...
- Ordinary Hero's - excellent reflection on grace in...
- Canadian strikes REAL GOLD!!
- Lent is a BUSY time for priests!
- We Are the World - for Haiti
- Why I maintain this blog: A reflection and some t...
- The question of ANH (Artificial Nutrition and Hydr...
- A father-in-law's heartfelt tribute upon the death...
- The Myth of over population presented in a 2 minut...
- With Thanks to "Vic & Carol" who passed this along...
- Church Teaching on homosexuality: Wisdom or Bigotr...
- Bringing a comment discussion to the floor for con...
- How to act at a time of death
- HOW COULD GOD ALLOW THE TRAGEDY IN HAITI?
- Happy St. Valentine's Day
- Sisters of Life in Toronto
- Chesterton quote (Freyr: Thanks for the correcti...
- Snowmaggeddon Part II
- The Holy Post
- Consistory on the way?
- The good that the Church does
- Time Lapse movie of Snowmaggeddon!! Cool!!
- Planned Parenthood's Polluted Progenitor - from th...
- LAST Nightime Shuttle launch... spectacular!
- Clearly this man is NOT a Canadian.
- As if this family has suffered enough.... more on ...
- Best & Worst Super Bowl Ads - Learning what works ...
- Dr. Robert Charles Susil, M.D., Ph.D ,, R.I.P.
- A "Silent Scream"
- Dr. Rob Susil - prayers are now more desperately n...
- Does Plato hold the wisdom to help Tiger Woods get...
- Can a Christian vote for the Liberal Party of Cana...
- Canadian Groundhogs KNOW winter! They've got the r...
- A Super Bowl thought from a MAN'S perspective
- ▼ February (49)