The issue of abortion has spawned a few comments in a previous post on state-funded medicare such as we have in Canada. Some have used the phrase "universal health care" as meaning that every service should be paid for, while I have taken a different position.
The advocates of abortion always say that it is a safe procedure and not a threat to the health of the mother. Common sense also sells us that pregnancy is not a life-threatening condition (with extraordinarily few exceptions).
Why should state funded health care be used to pay for an elective procedure? We do not pay for elective cosmetic surgery... we do not pay for chiropractic services... we do not pay for psychological services (just to name a few). Some of these services may be needed to save someones life or health (especially for people who suffer from depression or chronic pain conditions). If it is just for the state not to fund these services, why should abortion necessarily be included among the procedures that state funded?
"Universal" health care coverage mean that everyone is provided with necessary medical services. It does not mean that every medical procedure available will be paid for by the plan. It is my opinion that abortion is the precise definition of an elective procedure (assuming that the health of the mother is not threatened) and therefore there is no reason why it should be paid for by the state. This is not promoting discrimination, nor is it a sexist position any more than paying for penis enlargement surgery (which is not currently paid for) is a sexist orientation to men. It is simply a matter of rationalizing our health care dollar so as to produce the greatest good for the greatest number.
I look forward to your comments.
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2015 (1462)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- What have the Olympics revealed about God & Countr...
- ALL TIME OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL CHAMPIONS... A RULERS ...
- Vatican Video for priest... Alter christus Part O...
- Vatican Video for priests Alter Christus Part Tw...
- Vatican video for priests Alter Christus Part Thr...
- GO CANADA GO!!!!!
- An abrieviated version of an old chestnut
- Why should the state pay for an elective medical p...
- Archaeological dig uncovers support for biblical a...
- Tom Brokaw explains Canada to Americans
- American Health Care Solution?
- Cristina joins the conversation (what can we discu...
- Some perspective for those who are concerned with ...
- A classic, updated for we aging "boomers"
- Freyr helps open an investigation of that place wi...
- A little humor at the end of a busy day... with h/...
- Ordinary Hero's - excellent reflection on grace in...
- Canadian strikes REAL GOLD!!
- Lent is a BUSY time for priests!
- We Are the World - for Haiti
- Why I maintain this blog: A reflection and some t...
- The question of ANH (Artificial Nutrition and Hydr...
- A father-in-law's heartfelt tribute upon the death...
- The Myth of over population presented in a 2 minut...
- With Thanks to "Vic & Carol" who passed this along...
- Church Teaching on homosexuality: Wisdom or Bigotr...
- Bringing a comment discussion to the floor for con...
- How to act at a time of death
- HOW COULD GOD ALLOW THE TRAGEDY IN HAITI?
- Happy St. Valentine's Day
- Sisters of Life in Toronto
- Chesterton quote (Freyr: Thanks for the correcti...
- Snowmaggeddon Part II
- The Holy Post
- Consistory on the way?
- The good that the Church does
- Time Lapse movie of Snowmaggeddon!! Cool!!
- Planned Parenthood's Polluted Progenitor - from th...
- LAST Nightime Shuttle launch... spectacular!
- Clearly this man is NOT a Canadian.
- As if this family has suffered enough.... more on ...
- Best & Worst Super Bowl Ads - Learning what works ...
- Dr. Robert Charles Susil, M.D., Ph.D ,, R.I.P.
- A "Silent Scream"
- Dr. Rob Susil - prayers are now more desperately n...
- Does Plato hold the wisdom to help Tiger Woods get...
- Can a Christian vote for the Liberal Party of Cana...
- Canadian Groundhogs KNOW winter! They've got the r...
- A Super Bowl thought from a MAN'S perspective
- ▼ February (49)