Skip to main content

Gay Gene Eugenics | First Things

Gay Gene Eugenics | First Things

Comments

  1. What is with some writers? He starts of with a lie: "...each side has reasons for promoting the idea that sexual activity is freely chosen behavior. Gay rights activists have, of course, been working against this idea for decades."

    Carter refuses to differentiate between activity and inclination. In fact, he deliberately conflates the two.

    Activity is, indeed, freely chose behavior. Preference is not. He really needs to stop pandering to the ick factor of his fellow homophobes.

    "...the majority of parents would opt to have a heterosexual child (“What if we want grandchildren?”)."

    EXCUSE ME??? What if you want grandchildren???

    Put it on your bucket list and hope for the best, babycakes! Having a hetero child will never guarantee that your wants will be heeded or filled. For you to "have grandchildren," you must first have children who want to have children. You have no direct say in the matter!

    As for the "majority" wanting hetero offfspring -- I have not noticed that to be so. "Healthy" is usually the first desire spoken; but parents will actually accept an astounding array of what are called "birth defects." Some women profess a preference for one gender over the other, but I've never heard anyone say they want to have a "straight" child. Besides, being gay does not eliminate the possibility of further offspring. I'm friends with several gay men and women who have children of their own.

    "There is a chance, albeit unlikely, that the orientation will once again be classified—like alcoholism—under the disease model of behavior and considered a treatable condition."

    Well...no, actually. What is being bandied about is eliminating the "potential gayness" of a developing fetus in utero. You cannot do that with alcoholism. Being gay is not an addiction. He would do much better to contemplate doing away with blonds.

    "Soon after technology made it possible to detect sex and chromosomal abnormalities, it became acceptable to abort baby girls and children with mental retardation. Children that possess the propensity to become gay will join these “less desirables” in being quietly eliminated before birth."

    *cough cough* TO WHOM did it "become acceptable," exactly? Considering that there are children born every day with mental retardation and female genitalia, I suggest that Carson is making a tremenous effort -- but failing miserably -- to blow smoke up someone's assumptions.

    Tim, I quit reading at that point. His pattern was set; I saw no profit in continuing the exercise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Janus: LOL! Thank you for the concise analysis. I needed a chuckle today and your pointing out some of the logical flaws gave it to me. I agree with what you wrote, but the issue itself is still valid. You know what my stance on abortion is, so no use going over that. But even if abortion is legal, I would consider it morally inappropriate to terminate a pregnancy simply because of gender or (if they ever reach such a point) due to the presence or absence of a sexual preference gene.

    I keep thinking about what has happened in China with their 'one child' policy. The generation now coming into adulthood is so dramatically skewered (WAY too many males - WAY too few females) that it is threatening their civil society.

    Gender and orientation should (IMO) ever be used as a reason for aborting a child. Women, gays and anyone else considered outside the norm will be the ones who suffer.

    Fr. Tim

    P.S. You should take care of that bad 'cough' (big grin!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think Joe Carter has forgotten a few basic things...ALL people are created in the image and likeness of God and God does not make junk and that is Carter's inference.
    Another is that a child is a gift ...nobody knows that better than 1 who has had 5 miscarriages and then was gifted with 3 adopted children. Each day i thank God that those mothers chose not to abort children that they wanted but could not care for and loved them more than themselves..they are women who have a real understanding of generosity and i hope that they, in turn, pray for those of us who were blessed to raise their children.
    Mr Carted is well schooled but i am not sure how educated he is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, I have yet to be convinced that the "issue" actually exists.

    Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency is so rare, that, even if dexamethasone were made available for the "correction" of that condition, it would very likely have no great effect on the ratio of gay to straight women (it apparently has no effect on males) on the planet. And with the hue and cry that arises any time someone suggests gender-selection, can you imagine the uproar that would ensue if the drug were ever made available simply to tip the scales in the direction of hoping to further a dynasty wish? And then add to that the fact that such "correction" is not permanent, and would need continuous boosting for the entire life of the hapless subject -- at great risk to the rest of her health (not to mention that one would need her cooperation in such an endeavor) -- and I think this little tempest is just so much propaganda.

    As a ploy, it is a fail.

    And I'm brewing some honey and ginger for my cough as we speak. Poured over ice with a squeeze and twist of lime, it gets rid of all kinds of irritants, and it's highly refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know who wrote this, Tim; I got it from a book of Friars Club articles, and thought of you...enjoy:

    Irish (enough said)

    Something irascible, quite inexplicable, Irish.
    Strange blend of shyness, pride and conceit
    And stubborn refusal to bow in defeat.
    He's spoiling and ready to argue and fight,
    Yet the smile of a child fills his soul with delight.
    His eyes are the quickest to well up in tears, Yet his strength is the strongest to banish your fears.
    His faith is as fierce as his devotion is grand
    And there's no middle ground on which he will stand.
    He's wild and he's gentle, he's good and he's bad,
    He's proud and he's humble, he's happy and sad.
    He's in love with the ocean, the earth and the skies,
    He's enamored with beauty wherever it lies.
    He's victor and victim, a star and a clod,
    But mostly he's Irish and in love with his God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the article but sadly it's really over my head but that's okay.

    In the early 1970's, I was helping some nuns at a convent. One day I was at the kitchen sink. All of the sudden I was push away from the kitchen counter. I looked around I could not find out what was wrong. It happened again. I was really puzzled, then I realized it was the first time I felt my baby kicked inside of me. I was beaming with joy.

    I knew all the nuns were praying for me, for my baby and my husband. I felt bless by their prayers. Many nuns have died but my heart tells me these nuns are still praying for us all. Better yet, their prayers are even stronger.

    I told this true story to my gay adult son. That I first felt him move inside me in a convent. Within those walls that was so saturated with prayers.

    My gay son is special, he will not be abandoned by God. I also told him, even if the doctor way back then would had told me I was carrying a gay child, I would still have given birth to him. I would never think of doing away with him. After saying that, my son hugged me and we held each other for some time. My son knew then his mom never did stopped loving him and furthermore would always love him. Being gay did not change that special love we both still share.

    Lina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

 

Canadian Euthanasia Information

The May 2010 Euthanasia Prevention Coalition Newsletter can now be found at: http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/Newsletters/Newsletter108(May2010)(RGB).pdf Bill C-384 was soundly defeated by a vote of 228 to 59. Check how the Members of Parliament voted at: http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/HowTheyVoted.pdf On June 5, 2010, we are co-hosting the US/Canda Push-Back Seminar at the Radisson Gateway Hotel at the Seattle/Tacoma Airport. The overwhelming defeat of Bill C-384 proved that we can Push-Back the euthanasia lobby in the US and Canada and convince people that euthanasia and assisted suicide are a dangerous public policy. Register for the Seminar at: http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/2010SeminarFlyer(RGB)(LetterFormat).pdf The Schindler family are being attacked by a Florida television station and Michael Schiavo. The Euthanasia Prevention Coalition is standing in solidarity with the Schindler family. My blog comments: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2010/05/att