The National Post religion blog (The Holy Post) has published an article written by Jackson Doughart, a student of political science at the University of Prince Edward Island and a member of the Canadian Secular Alliance in which he states that B16 misrepresented what 'secularism' actually is. In the comment threads that follow (still the best discussion in the MSM on the subject of religion and life) someone stated that atheists did not have a set of beliefs whereas theists killed people with their beliefs.
It got me to thinking. Soon I was typing away at a version of the '10 Commandments' for atheists. It is a pretty rough first draft and I'm most certainly open to suggestions as to how they could be improved. Yet it should serve to provoke an interesting conversation.
Let me know what you think.
1. Thou shall not believe in any God beyond natural selection, and personal choice and autonomy
2. Thou shall not permit the spending of any tax revenues on any organization that has a religious connection
3. Thou shall recognize religious believers as 'less intelligent' than others and shall denigrate them as Dimwits and Simpletons.
4. It is permissible to kill people (abortion, euthanasia etc.), but not baby seals, birds, whales, bears, and rabbits…
5. Any sexual act is acceptable, desirable, laudable, and to be encouraged, so long as adults consent.
6. Thou must scrub every vestige of 'God' from the public square
7. Believers are to be restricted to expressing their belief in their churches or homes only
8. Thou shall not judge the actions of any one else (so long as they do not harm you)
9. One need not honor commitments made to others (divorce etc.) –except in financial matters.
10. Scientific cognition is the sole arbiter of what is truth, BUT ALL OTHER COGNITION IS AND MUST REMAIN RELATIVE.
Opinion: Pope’s comments misrepresent secularism | Holy Post | National Post
About Fr. Tim
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- December (63)
- November (168)
- October (109)
- September (91)
- August (81)
- July (70)
- June (155)
- May (116)
- April (132)
- March (132)
- February (79)
- January (87)
- December (87)
- November (111)
- October (133)
- September (149)
- August (103)
- July (112)
- June (161)
- May (157)
- April (115)
- March (115)
- February (153)
- January (132)
- December (138)
- November (123)
- October (126)
- September (118)
- August (88)
- July (101)
- June (123)
- May (124)
- April (107)
- March (117)
- February (146)
- January (126)
- December (72)
- November (57)
- October (94)
- In Bank Inquiry, Vatican Faces the Modern World - ...
- Are We Really Over-Populated? | Archdiocese of Was...
- Richard Dawkins & Co. = Paisley 2.0? | First Thing...
- Mother Teresa as model for NGO's? Not a bad idea!...
- Atheist unwittingly makes strong case for God « So...
- For the Love of Dog! | Blogs | NCRegister.com
- Don Martin: Ten years later, Trudeau divides us st...
- Don't know much about religion? You're not alone, ...
- A Life Tale that illustrates a principle that gird...
- Hebrew Cosmology.
- 'The Catholicity of Starbucks!' - Catholic Phoenix...
- The Pope's Banker Weathers the Storm
- Prominent atheist says Catholicism is least tolera...
- Busy, Busy, Busy!!
- Catholics and Orthodox report promising progress i...
- Atheists Commandments
- Vatican Issues Defense of Seizure From Its Bank - ...
- Parting the waters: Computer modeling applies phys...
- George Weigel's The Catholic Difference :: The Piu...
- therecord.com.au - Shrill polemics can't excuse QC...
- ‘Pope Benedict is an enemy of the state’ | spiked
- The Straight Lines of Providence | First Things
- POPE'S UK VISIT: Benedict XVI's parting message as...
- The hermeneutic of continuity: News of the World c...
- The Pope's Last Wishes in the United Kingdom
- Winter will be colder, longer than last year - CTV...
- Pope B16's homily at the Beatification of Cardinal...
- City plans to bill pastor for security around plan...
- In the Crucifix of Westminster, the Pope Sees the ...
- Whispers in the Loggia: Text of another papal addr...
- Whispers in the Loggia: "Side By Side"... "Face to...
- Al Qaeda Plot to Kill Pope Benedict XVI Foiled In ...
- Archbishop Chaput speaks about Catholics obligatio...
- Whispers in the Loggia: "Search For Him, Know Him ...
- CBC News - World - 5 arrested over potential threa...
- Why 'public' should not mean 'atheist'
- Somehow, we have life
- Something to brighten a rainy day
- A Promise to Pope John Paul II | First Things
- Omid Djalili, an Iranian comic offers a wonderf...
- Quebec's collective depression
- This Pope is a great man, badly served by bishops ...
- Alan Lurie: Why Does God Hide?
- Fides et Ratio « The American Catholic
- Should the Pope face charges? - Macleans.ca
- Mass rape by paedophile Catholic priests is a myth...
- Donald Trump: Nobel Laurete? It's possible!
- Struggle over 'ownership' of baby split gay parent...
- Robert Fulford: Lessons of 9/11 | Full Comment | N...
- A thought on 9/11
- The Limits of Religious Tolerance | Religion and E...
- Australia's Catholic church bans pop songs at fune...
- Catholic Culture : Latest Headlines : Belgian abus...
- Scientist at Center of Stem-Cell Storm Once Made S...
- Daunting and Soothing: Abuse Report Gets Facts Str...
- There's only ONE real 'Fr. Tim' on the National Po...
- Fidel latest to say Cuba's communism doesn't work ...
- Fidel Castro says Cuban model no longer works
- Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Prominent Italian ...
- Catholic Culture : Latest Headlines : Qu'ran-burni...
- Understanding Pope Benedict XVI on the Liturgy « T...
- Planned Koran burning condemned worldwide - U.s. -...
- Technology is both weird and wonderful.
- August (69)
- July (68)
- June (108)
- May (113)
- April (178)
- March (59)
- February (49)
- January (67)