Nominee No. 1: [San Jose Mercury News]:
An unidentified man, using a shotgun like a club to break a former girl friend's windshield, accidentally shot himself to death when the gun discharged, blowing a hole in his gut.
Nominee No. 2: [Kalamazoo Gazette]:
James Burns, 34, (a mechanic) of Alamo, MI, was killed in March as he was trying to repair what police describe as a "farm-type truck." Burns got a friend to drive the truck on a highway while Burns hung underneath so that he could ascertain the source of a troubling noise. Burns' clothes caught on something, however, and the other man found Burns "wrapped in the drive shaft."
Nominee No. 3: [Hickory Daily Record]:
Ken Charles Barger, 47, accidentally shot himself to death in December in Newton, NC. Awakening to the sound of a ringing telephone beside his bed, he reached for the phone but grabbed instead a Smith & Wesson 38 Special, which discharged when he drew it to his ear.
Nominee No. 4: [UPI, Toronto ]:
Police said a lawyer demonstrating the safety of windows in a downtown Toronto skyscraper crashed through a pane with his shoulder and plunged 24 floors to his death. A police spokesman said Garry Hoy, 39, fell into the courtyard of the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower early Friday evening as he was explaining the strength of the buildings windows to visiting law students. Hoy previously has conducted demonstrations of window strength according to police reports. Peter Lawson, managing partner of the firm Holden Day Wilson, told the Toronto Sun newspaper that Hoy was "one of the best and brightest" members of the 200-man association. A person has to wonder what the dimmer members of this law firm are like.
Nominee No. 5: [The News of the Weird]:
Michael Anderson Godwin made News of the Weird posthumously. He had spent several years awaiting South Carolina's electric chair on a murder conviction before having his sentence reduced to life in prison. While sitting on a metal toilet in his cell attempting to fix his small TV set, he bit into a wire and was electrocuted.
Nominee No. 6: [The Indianapolis Star]:
A cigarette lighter may have triggered a fatal explosion in Dunkirk, IN. A Jay County man, using a cigarette lighter to check the barrel of a muzzleloader, was killed Monday night when the weapon discharged in his face, sheriff's investigators said. Gregory David Pryor, 19, died in his parents' rural Dunkirk home at about 11:30 PM. Investigators said Pryor was cleaning a 54-caliber muzzle-loader that had not been firing properly. He was using the lighter to look into the barrel when the gunpowder ignited.
Nominee No. 7: [Reuters, Mississauga, Ontario ]:
A man cleaning a bird feeder on the balcony of his condominium apartment in this Toronto suburb slipped and fell 23 stories to his death. "Stefan Macko, 55, was standing on a wheelchair when the accident occurred," said Inspector Darcy Honer of the Peel Regional Police. "It appears that the chair moved, and he went over the balcony," Honer said.
Finally, THE WINNER!!!: [Arkansas Democrat Gazette]:
Two local men were injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early Monday. Woodruff County deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock , were returning to Des Arc after a frog-catching trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole 's pickup truck headlights malfunctioned.
The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older-model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullets from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering-wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet the headlights again began to operate properly, and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge .
After traveling approximately 20 miles, and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the testicles. The vehicle swerved sharply right, exited the pavement, and struck a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require extensive surgery to repair the damage to his testicles, which will never operate as intended.
Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. "Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls off or we might be dead," stated Wallis
"I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this accident happened," said Snyder.
Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia (Poole's wife) asked how many frogs the boys had caught and did anyone get them from the truck? Though Poole and Wallis did not die as a result of their misadventure as normally required by Darwin Award Official Rules, it can be argued that Poole did in fact effectively remove himself from the gene pool.
You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
About Fr. Tim
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- December (47)
- November (168)
- October (109)
- September (91)
- August (81)
- July (70)
- June (155)
- May (116)
- April (132)
- March (132)
- February (79)
- Medical Experts Warn of Under-Exposed Abortion Ris...
- What Every Catholic Using Social Media Should Know...
- Fortress Catholicism vs. the New Evangelization
- The Jewish Translation That Rewrote the Bible – Fo...
- Why Les Miserables still resonates
- Abortion still polarizing Canadians 25 years after...
- Three-Parent Embryo: Modifying Future Generations
- Catholicism’s Curse - NYTimes.com
- Full text of Message of His Holiness Pope Benedict...
- Why do Canadians talk so much about the weather? -...
- This week in religion history: The Vatican reminds...
- It's official: J.J. Abrams to direct 7th installme...
- Scientists: Star Trek ‘tractor beam’ can be used a...
- All the World’s Believers & Unbelievers in one Han...
- Catholics Raise Issue of Guns Amid Call to End Abo...
- Colorado Bishops To Review Catholic Hospital's Def...
- Two Women are Behind Legalized Abortion in America...
- Pope shifts some duties between offices of Roman C...
- The latest excommunication call - Ed Peters, a can...
- In wrongful-death lawsuit, Catholic hospital argue...
- A primer on Catholic Social Teaching
- I'd Like to Visit Cardinal Mahony in Prison | Bad ...
- The Result of Relativism - latest column from Fr. ...
- Vatican Radio - Audience: Going against the grain ...
- ‘The God Delusion’
- Neanderthal Resurrection Would Be Wrong - By Wesle...
- On the Necessity of Theological Courage in the Pub...
- The Persecuted Church: 2012
- Politicians, catfish, and 'post turtles'.
- Intellectual pitfalls - By Alice von Hildebrand
- Should We Recreate The Neanderthals? | Irregular T...
- Gamma-ray burst may have hit Earth in 8th century ...
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Boston...
- Biblical Basics About Mother Mary – A Homily for t...
- This week in religion history: The hazards of miss...
- Sermon for the 2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Vatican praises Obama's gun control plan as 'step ...
- 5 Things That Other Religions Do Better Than Catho...
- Mars: Photos show massive, ancient river-like stru...
- Pope finally launches crackdown on world's largest...
- Ask Fr. Barron: What books should every Catholic r...
- A commentary from Fr. Robert Barron on 'Les Miséra...
- Egyptian court sentences Christian family to 15 ye...
- Christians should forgive Lance Armstrong — but it...
- Liberalism Brings Slavery When It Confuses License...
- Canadian law professor calls for legal changes to ...
- Quebec to legalize assisted suicide; Death a medic...
- NRA launches scathing new ad as Obama plans sweepi...
- 6 Reasons Why Men Can Speak on Abortion
- Let’s Talk About Just War | Public Discourse
- Why does God allow sin and suffering? Always a goo...
- Shameless Popery: Science v. Religion on When Life...
- How my Catholic faith was renewed - The Washington...
- This week in religion history: The rise of the Kni...
- On Trial for Being a Catholic – A Creative Video |...
- Hastings lawyer with history of anti-Catholic slur...
- Wait! Sin Has Consequences? - Indeed it does!! All...
- BIG BLUE WAVE: Planned Parenthood Abandoning "Pro-...
- Secular thinkers notice reality, but is it too lat...
- NCRegister | Thou Shall Not Think
- Books to deepen your spiritual life
- From teen rebel to warrior to saint: Exploring the...
- Bad demographic news gets secular attention, at la...
- Knowledge of Catholic past deepens faith, historia...
- With Children, When Does Religion Go Too Far? - Ro...
- Economic Consequentialism |Blogs | NCRegister.com
- No peace with abortion/ euthanasia: Pope Benedict ...
- The 2012 nominees for the Darwin Award
- This week in religion history: A bandage, too late...
- NHL and NHLPA reach deal on collective bargaining ...
- SSPX leader calls Jewish people ‘enemies of the Ch...
- Talk Like C.S. Lewis: Using plain talk to explain ...
- Of gods and Women, Personhood and Power - U.s. - C...
- Dualism debate: Is there a consciousness beyond th...
- Family, State, and Union: Pope Leo Was Right : Ign...
- A Day in the Life of the Church: A Meditation on H...
- Rebuttals to arguments for same-sex marriage
- Biblical guidelines to Christian cheerfulness
- Robert Ballard is Going Looking for Noah’s Flood
- Guardian: Paedophiles are 'ordinary members of soc...
- Idle No More movement prompts First Nations leader...
- A Benedict XVI Epiphany | First Things - the lates...
- Two reasons why Obama thinks religious freedom doe...
- Crunch-time negotiations over NHL lockout to resum...
- Former Canadian bishops staffer arrested for child...
- The Jesus Memo - from The Skit Guys
- 2012: A Look Back | National Catholic Reporter
- December (87)
- November (111)
- October (133)
- September (149)
- August (103)
- July (112)
- June (161)
- May (157)
- April (115)
- March (115)
- February (153)
- January (132)
- December (138)
- November (123)
- October (126)
- September (118)
- August (88)
- July (101)
- June (123)
- May (124)
- April (107)
- March (117)
- February (146)
- January (126)
- December (72)
- November (57)
- October (94)
- September (63)
- August (69)
- July (68)
- June (108)
- May (113)
- April (178)
- March (59)
- February (49)
- January (67)